It seems to me that with every upgrade or enhancement, online banking (in Canada) get less useful and far more difficult to use. Having had a 4-month co-op stint at a bank (doing QA for the Online Banking team), I know all about the red-tape involved, plus the antiquated mindset, skills, and technologies at play, so I’m not really surprised; just disappointed.
- One bank no longer lets me view my statements online but rather forces me to download a PDF.
- Several banks don’t actually let me download PDF statements.
- One bank fails to list the actual statement date when viewing a statement.
- Two banks limit their passwords at 6-8 characters.
- One bank has two separate systems: one for their credit card and one for regular banking.
- One bank forces me to indicate the fact that I’m from Canada every time I visit their site (because the domain on their cookie isn’t set correctly).
As skeptical as I was about the idea of BankSimple, I now wait with bated breath.